Bituminous Concrete (BC) is a composite material mostly used in construction projects like road surfacing, airports, parking lots etc. It consists of bitumen (used as a binder) and mineral aggregate which are mixed together & laid down in layers then compacted. Now a days, the steady increment in high traffic intensity in terms of commercial vehicles, and the significant variation in daily and seasonal temperature put us in a demanding situation to think of some alternatives for the improvisation of the pavement characteristics and quality by applying some necessary modifications which shall satisfy both the strength as well as economical aspects. Hence addition of plastic in bituminous concrete is the best option. Also, generation of plastic waste is increasing day by day and necessity to dispose this waste in proper way is arising. This waste is disposed by using different methods such as incineration, land-filling which affects the environment; Since the plastic waste are non-biodegradable, but by adding plastic into bituminous Concrete is the eco-friendly process. This waste plastic modified bituminous Concrete show better binding property, stability, density and more resistant to water. This poster presents overview of the comparative analysis conducted to study the behavior of BC mix modified with waste plastic. Various percentages of plastic are used for preparation of mixes with a selected aggregate grading as given in the IRC Code. The role of plastic in the mix is studied for various engineering properties by preparing Marshall samples of BC mixtures with and without plastic. Marshall properties such as stability, flow value, air voids are used to determine optimum plastic content for the VG-30 grade of bitumen.
- plastic waste
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Reduce plastic waste
- Saving non-renewable resources.
- Exploring the most recyclable material in the road field.
- Understanding benefits and drawbacks of utilizing plastic material in road pavements
- Utilize the waste plastic as useful binding material, save the bitumen content
- To check the properties of plastic modified bituminous concrete.
- Compare the properties of PMBC & OBC.
- Increase the Marshall Stability Value.
- Better resistance towards rainwater
- Increase binding and better bonding of the mix.
- No effect of radiation likes UV.
- Saving in bitumen content
- Cost of road construction is decrease
- Maintenance cost of the road is almost nil.
- Cleaning process- Toxics present in the co-mingled plastic waste would start leaching.
- During the road laying process- in the presence of chlorine will release noxious HCL gas.
- The components of the road, once it has been laid, are not inert.